- Calculate how many bases required of which sizes (I have various templates to test with different sized vehicles).
- Cut bases out of card.
- Stick figures onto bases with UHU or Bostik. I leave guns and vehicles off at this stage.
- Stick bits of magnabase on the rear edge, normally just a single 8mmx8mm or 10mmx10mm square. This allows for use with games which use steel markers etc. I often also write unit IDs on here.
- Paint base in base colour, in this case a chocolate brown, using a cheap match pot of emulsion from Wickes.
- Stick vehicles onto the painted base (but not guns).
- Liberally apply diluted PVA and flock. For these I'll just use Woodland Scenics mixed turf so it matches my other AK stuff, for other figs I'd use sand as a base and work up from there.
- Once dry, stick guns down. I always do these last.
- Finish the edges of the bases with black marker pen.
- Put strips of magnabase on the bottom of the bases.
The trickiest thing is organising the figures, these were a bit of a job lot and as I'm not sure which rules I'll want to use these with, they could be anything from 1:1 skirmish up to 1 base = 1 company type stuff. I went for:
- normal rifle groups with two figures abreast
- command stands with one rifleman and one commander type figure (can double up as rifle stands)
- HQ stands with an officer and a radio op standing diagonally
- light support weapons (GPMGs, LAW etc) with two figs in column if appropriate poses
- individually based leader/observer types to use as FOs etc
- heavy weapons with a couple of crew and one weapon, I usually give MGs and mortars two crew and artillery three
all on 30mm bases. That should be reasonable flexible and looks OK. One problem I did have with these figs was that some of the MJ ones are enormous, more like 20mm, whereas other ones are a more normal size. The QRF figs similarly varied in size but were generally smaller, so mixing them on bases was a bit problematic.