Anyway, here is the finished article. I haven't built a plastic aircraft kit since the early 1970s, so I was pleased how it came out. It was a lovely clean little model and went together beautifully.
I finished it in a khaki/green scheme lifted from one of my aviation books. I copied Tims method of painting over the canopy in light blue, and don't think it looks too bad. The decals are OK,but the red centres are slightly offset. They are the only Russian stars I have though, so they will have to do.
The model comes with options for undercart down or up, I went for retracted. I did the underside in a light grey and didn't bother with underwing decals. Those stars may come in handy for something else.
Here it is in flight over the dining table looking for some fascist tanks to blow up. My only criticism is that some of the smaller plastic parts are a bit fragile (the gun barrels and radio antenna post). If they break off 'll replace them with wire. I snapped the prop blades off anyway to save my big fingered pals the trouble. I'm not up to making clear plastic discs for the prop, so just imagine the propeller is going really, really fast.