Thursday 25 July 2024

15mm 47mm AT guns

 The Italians needed some 47mm AT guns to go with their field artillery, and as I was getting some stuff from Peter Pig, I bought a pack of their 47s.


You get two guns in the pack, but no crew. 


They are nice little pieces with separate gun barrels and that distinctive PP modelling style with slightly exaggerated detail. Hardly any flash and went together fine.


I actually struggled a bit with crew figures as all the PP gunner figures are standing, but these are so tiny I needed some kneeling figures. In the end I scavanged some of the spare heavy weapons crews, which was annoying as I wanted to use some as kneeling engineers. Maybe I should have got QRF guns, at least they come with appropriate crews.



They look suitably diminutive anyway. I just did them in plain sand with the usual washes and extra layers of drybrushing. It occurs to me I should maybe have painted the tyres on the wheels. Oh well, a job for another day.


I had also picked up one of the Italian engineer packs, and for some reason it included three Solothurn 20mm AT rifles, which were a useful addition to my AT strength. I think some of the kneeling figures came with these, but I can't actually remember. I would have preferred to put an extra figure on the AT rifle bases but I couldn't find anything suitable so I did them as single figures.

Anyway, that will do for Italian guns for now. I'll get a couple of Breda 20mm AA at some point.



4 comments:

  1. Lovely kit. I am finding the lure of 10mm WW2 Desert War Italians hard to resist.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought you already had a load of 10mm desert stuff?

      Delete
  2. I think you have used a platoon commander and the figure with rifle from the HMG pack (rifle cut down?).
    You could have used the Bersaglieri gun crew or the Brixia mortar spare figure.
    I suspect the QRF ones wouldn't have been that nice.
    Sadly, Italians are the poor relations in 15mm. The CD / Skytrex ones are in odd Old Glory positions and are in sun hat or a really odd side cap nothing like the Italian one. Battlefront were OK, but they keep discontinuing lines so it's hard to keep track.
    Neil

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All my Italian officers are apparently standing up looking heroic! I'm not overly fussed wrt the Solothurn crews. If I get really bugged I'll just paint a couple of kneeling Soviet or US figures as Italians. The helmets are close enough.

      Delete