Sunday, 1 March 2015

PSC 15mm Pz IVs

More Triples 2014 purchases. I decided to beef up my holdings of 15mm Panzer IVs, and picked up a box of  five PSC models, with the vehicles I already had this gave enough for a full battalion (at one base = one platoon type scales). As always, these were beautiful models with tons of add-ons and options. One thing I did notice was more flash than usual as these are some of the earlier moulds I guess, but nothing much to worry about. These were also the older mult-part track models rather than the newer single track ones, but it was easy enough to figure out which round the various bits went.

Made them up as H models in full turret/skirt armour and some pure Gs to fit in with my existing mix and also to provide an easy way to differentiate companies. I added a couple of commanders, an easy way to differentiate command vehicles if required. The only real criticism was the clumsy design of the turret armour with a horrible join at the rear, which took a bit of filling and sanding, and it wasn't hugely clear what to do with some of the optional bits (like the long stowage box and the extra air filters) so I had to consult a few books. I didn't want to commit some hideous faux pas and fit the wrong bits to the wrong model of tank. 

I was pleased to find that, unlike the Shermans, the Pz IVs seem to be the same size as my Peter Pig and Battlefront ones (see the size comparison below).

The photos haven't come out too well, it was a grey day with poor light, so apologies.

The assembled models parade on the dining table.

The company of Pz IVGs. They strongly remind me of the Airfix Pz IVF2 of which I had loads, but the tracks are much, much nicer on these.

The skirted Hs. I really like Pz IVs in full armour, and they are much easier to paint than the skirtless ones.

Side rear view, you can see the nice deeply etched engine grilles and the beautifully modelled tracks.

Size comparison with L-R) PSC, Peter Pig and, I think Battlefront.
I did these very, very plain, just the odd Balkan cross as the amount of heraldry on later war German tanks declined markedly as losses shot up and I figured that tactical markings would end up covered in mud anyway. I used to quite enjoy paint all the tac insignia, but these days I think they can look unrealistically garish.

I deliberately did tons and tons of mud and dust on these, again to tone down the edges of camo to an extent, and also to get them looking 'muddy greenish brownish' as one veteran described his tank. The tracks I just did mud coloured with an inkwash and steel highlights, and I alos just daubed mud all over the running gear (much easier than painting the tyres!). I was pleased that the panel lines etc were etched deeply enough that merely wet-brushing the dunkelgelb over them left the lines showing without the need for an inkwash.


1 comment:

  1. Great deal of great information and this can be useful some or maybe the other way. Keep updating your blog, anticipating to get more detailed contents.