Thursday 20 July 2023

15mm BA 64 armoured cars

 I picked up a trio of BA 64s second hand at the recent Steel Warriors show. They used to belong to Frank, a stalwart of the club, who died suddenly earlier this year.


Here they are chugging along. The only other Soviet armoured cars I have are early war ones, and while my late war recce troops have carriers, Valentines and motorcycles, they don't have any suitable armoured cars, so these are ideal.

I don't know who the manufacturer is, although I assume Battlefront. They appear to be resin or plastic, not metal, and come with either ATRs or MGs as armament.  


They are nice little models, and very diminutive compared to my BA-10s. They were done in a very dark green, so I went over them with a heavy drybrush of Russian camo green (Vallejo 894) to lighten them a bit. The commanders were in black uniforms as well, so I re-did them in khaki. Otherwise they didn't need much painting.


I dirtied them up a bit with a light tan drybrush, which picked up the edges on the angular armour and other details nicely and highlighted the weapons in boltgun metal. Otherwise it was just a matter of basing them.


As I had the Russian Green out, I also repainted one of the old lorries Tim has donated to me. This one is a Zvezda Gaz AA. I managed to break one of the front wheels off getting it off its old base (stuck down with hot glue!). Otherwise it was just the same treatment as the armoured cars albeit with added glass.

These are lovely models which take a drybrush very well.


I usually do the canvas tilts khaki, (VJ English Uniform) but I didn't shake the bottle up enough and it came out a shiny light green as the pigment hadn't mixed properly. I hate dropper bottles, give me a proper pot of paint any day. I've still got one old pot of Humbrol acrylic from 1997.

Anyway, I couldn't be bothered to do anything about it, so I let to dry and just gave it a heavy drybrush of tan, which ended up looking OK. 

One more truck to add to the collection. You can never have too many.




No comments:

Post a Comment