Thursday 6 July 2023

A few more planes...

Tim is also having a clearout so I recently picked up some surplus  1/144th(ish) scale planes from him. 


This is the latest haul.


A rather nice diecast Hampden, complete with a very hefty flight stand. It needs it as it weighs a ton. The model is finished in night bomber camo with black undersides.


Slightly different view, as with many diecasts it has exquisite detail. Although the Hampden was mainly a 'strategic' bomber it may put in an appearance as an early/mid war medium bomber. My British two engined bomber fleet is mainly Mitchells and a Mosquito, so this will fill in a gap. 


Another lovely diecast, this time the Bristol Beaufort, predecessor to the Beaufighter. It also weighs a ton and in finished in an unusual light green/dark green scheme reminiscient of 1940 era BEF armour, with a duck egg green underside.


This was mainly used as a torpedo bomber in the war, but I won't have any great qualms about using it as a medium bomber/ground attack plane as it bears something of a resemblance to a Boston. Eagle eyed readers will note it appeared in the recent Sicily game. 


A fabulous pre-painted Kittyhawk in desert camo with sharks teeth etc. Just what my Mediterranean/Desert chaps need to supplement their Hurribombers.  This one also turned up in the Sicily game. 


This was a Gashopon model, and the first thing which happened when I  picked it up was that the tail fell off. Having stuck that back on, I tested all the other components but they seemed to be firmly in place. 


Last up is this diecast toy Fiesler Storch in desert camo. Although the wheels mark this out as a toy, it looks fine from a distance. I've also got a similar diecast RE8 in the box somewhere.


I was hoping to buy a Zvezda Storch but they were out of stock when I last looked, but this will do fine as a stand in. The main problem with these diecast toys is drilling the hole for the flight stand as the metal is quite thick, I shall do it very carefully with one of my diamond drills.

Very pleased with that lot, and I shall not doubt find some scenarios as an excuse to use them.








2 comments:

  1. A very useful scale for the table.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm a really big fan of 1/144th scale plahes. They work well with all sorts of stuff, although some of them are still huge models!

      Delete