Thursday 29 June 2023

Revell Paratroops

 Along with the Commandos, I need a British Paratroop brigade for the Sicily game. I did have some Airfix Paras in stock, but then I acquired some Revell ones second hand and the Airfix figures are just awful in comparison, so Revell it was. 


1st Parachute Brigade for Megablitz. Three parachute infantry battalions, Brigade HQ and a jeep and trailer for hauling supplies (and the HQ) around. 


The Para battalions. I used a mix of different figures, but vaguely representative of a rifle section with one SMG, four rifles and a Bren gunner. The figures are much more "modern" than the Airfix ones, with deep engraving, and reasonably accurate equipment although the guys are all in very light order. No small packs or entrenching tools. 


Brigade HQ, a very dynamic officer and his rather static ADC. He is actually wearing a parachute pack! Or maybe it is a man pack radio. Perhaps I should add an aerial. 

I did the DPM the same as my 15mm figures, sand base with brown and then green to get the tone.  I just ran a bit of ink around the webbing but not onto the smocks. Some of the helmets are scrimmed and some aren't, and I didn't notice they had very fine helmet nets moulded on until I drybrushed them. 


Yes, I know it is a postwar jeep, but it was in the bits box and only needed minor repairs (some of the wheels had broken in half). I think the trailer is from the Hasegawa jeep? Anyway, it looks good enough and rounds the unit off. 





4 comments:

  1. The Paras looked very smart in the Sicily game - even if they didn't hold the veteran status of your elderly Commandos!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They were such lovely figures that I had to paint the Revell ones instead of the old Airfix ones.

      Delete
  2. They looked the part in the game. Great work.

    Cheers,

    Pete.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Pete. I apparently have a few zip lock bags stuffed with unpainted Revell Paras. Coming to a Bring and Buy near you shortly.

      Delete