Wednesday 23 August 2023

15mm WW2 Desert Project

 Regular readers may recall that I have finally sold the bulk of my 20mm WW2 collection, after one last outing to the Sicily Megablitz game a few months ago. There are a still a few bits left which I'll punt on eBay as the fancy takes me.

This has freed up twelve boxfiles worth of storage space for a new project! I actually feel like a weight has lifted seeing all that empty shelving, so I don't intend to fill it all up right away. I have had a hankering to do the desert war in a larger scale for a while though. 


I've actually got a moderate 6mm WW2 desert collection of long standing which has featured in various games including Megablitz, Panzergruppe, Rommel, KISS Rommel, Memoir 44, and most recently, WW2 NBC as we waded through all the scenarios in 'Benghazi Stampede' remotely during lockdown. 

There is enough stuff here to do the whole of both Operation Crusader and the battle of Gazala at 1 base = 1 battalion, and I've done both those battles using Panzergruppe.


Anyway, I've often said that if starting WW2 from scratch, I do it in 15mm. I just prefer the character of the larger figures and vehicles, and they satisfy my desire to recreate the look of Charles Grants 'Battle', with the much smaller original Airfix figures and Roco vehicles. 15mm also avoids the "they all look the same" problem of 6mm armies which are all painted sand colour. 

I seem to actually have a core of of an Italian force already, having steadily accumulated various Italian vehicles over the years, and more recently some lorry donations from Tim. They have apparently been supplemented with some BPM resin 3D prints in this box, as well as a BF 109 in need of a repaint. 


Ooer missus. This lot look a bit Germanic.

I've not done a multi-army 15mm project for a while, the last being the British and Germans in 15mm for early WW1 some years ago. Even though I was younger, I thought my eyes would fall out of my head if I had to paint one more pair of boots.  I had much the same feeling when I did the 15mm Russians and US. How many more T34s do I have to paint? Why do US infantry insist on wearing leggings a different colour to their trousers? 

Anyway, this time I decided to just do 'pocket armies' for the British, Germans and Italians to get started, then add more bits over the years to come. Each army would have enough infantry, vehicles and guns for a basic Neil Thomas One Hour type army, and ideally to do many of the scenarios in Benghazi Handicap or at least a Corps for Megablitz. Essentially, a couple of artillery pieces, a couple of anti tank guns, a handful of MGs and mortars, a dozen bases of infantry, some engineers, HQs plus some transport and some tanks. 

Each army was a bit different, as in the case of the Italians and Germans I had some stuff  I could use already - the Germans in particular had a ton of late war stuff in dunkelgelb which could be used for DAK.


Mmm. It transpired that I'd over ordered a  bit even for my initial pocket armies. A big box of unopened Peter Pig stuff. I'm sure it will all come in handy. 


And some things from QRF I haven't apparently had time to stick together either. 


Never mind all these blurry boxes of Zvezda kits. Whatever happened to Zvezda prices? Six quid each?? I remember when they were all 3.99.

I was genuinely shocked how expensive stuff has got, particularly plastics. I'd planned on buying a load of PSC stuff as well as Zvezda, but it has just become crazily expensive compared to other options. The great delight was QRF however, who remain dirt cheap, even cheaper than BPM in some cases. Who can argue with a troop pack of 3 x Crusaders for 11.50? With the 15% summer discount, the whole bag works out about the same as a single vehicle from Skytrex.

I did get a few Zvezda items as they are such lovely models, but only to supplement some stuff I had in stock. Basically some more Pz III to go with my existing unbuilt Pz IIs and IVs. 

Most of the new stuff was BPM or QRF with figures from Peter Pig. 


Ah, something looks a bit more finished. 

I'll be posting updates as things progress.





8 comments:

  1. The dangers of multi-scale period proliferation!
    Fallen foul of that myself......
    As much as I can admire the likes of GHQ, I've never really got on with 1:300 / 1:285 scale on any level, whether painting or gaming.
    I've wanted to "do" the Western Desert WW2 campaign for years. I started collecting 15mm about when there was an outpouring of stuff in this scale, having built up 15mm SCW.
    At the time it was ridiculously cheap, especially compared to 20mm. At the time, I was working to a 1 stand = 1 platoon level. It was always in the "to do" pile, with more stuff accumulated as better models were released and obscure vehicles become available.
    My focus changed to operational games; unfortunately, I indulged my nostalgia for 20mm which for a brief period became cheap and have duplicated desert kit. Why? Difficult. I convinced myself the 15mm could be saved for less abstract rules or game scales. In reality, I think I wanted to recreate the look of John Sanders stuff, as those Airfix guides were my inspiration (with practically every German tank type scratchbuilt!)

    As to painting, I'd suggest for infantry at least, experimenting with Contrast paints; the flow qualities mean those boots would be less of a chore!
    Neil

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think many of us yearn to recreate the look of the old Airfix guides, and for me, Charles Grants Battle. I find 15mm just looks more like my old OO/HO stuff.

      Ill figure out a painting method which works. At the moment it seems to be many layers of dry rushing interspersed with ink washes.

      The 6mm stuff is fine. It is cheap, easy to paint and store etc. But sometimes I just want something a bit bigger.

      Delete
    2. The contrast paint have some useful sand shades, despite the ridiculous names, Skeleton Horde and Aggros Dunes. Gives a base colour with shade. Painted some 1967 Egyptians and was impressed. The flow quality is very good; less is more. I ended up drybrushing to bring out more details and tone down where the shade had pooled.

      http://aufklarungsabteilung.blogspot.com/2021/07/playing-around-with-contrast-paints.html

      http://aufklarungsabteilung.blogspot.com/2022/01/painting-progress-sitrep.html

      Neil

      Delete
    3. Thanks Neil. I'm not very up on all these modern paints which are available.

      Delete
  2. I actually missed that you were getting rid of your 20mm collection! Anyhow, 15mm is a good size, looking forward to seeing more of the new stuff hit the table.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it has been sitting on the top shelf for decades staring at me balefully. For nostalgia sake I've still got my original Airfix infantry I did for "Battle" back in the 70s.

      Delete
  3. As one door closes - another opens :-)

    12 boxfiles worth of space is an impressive grab.

    I wonder if the Zvezda supply chain is being hit by the war? I do like their 15’s (and their 1/72).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am sure the war has caused all sorts of problems for Zvezda, the Hannants stock is quite random now. I guess higher oil prices have hit plastics in general too, which is a shame as I really like Zvezda and PSC 15mm stuff.

      Delete