Wednesday 10 January 2024

15mm Zvezda Pz II

 For my starting German DAK forces, I didn't do loads of tanks as unlike the British, they didn't have so many different types coming into and out of service. I've also already got some vehicles which can be pressed into service if necessary (Marders, Pz IIIL etc).

I already had some Zvezda vehicles in stock as I'd been meaning to do a Command Decision Pz 38 battalion. I painted up the Pz 38s years ago, but never got around to doing the Pz IIs and IVs I'd bought as well.

The first bunch of vehicles was just a representative mix, one Pz II, two Pz III and one Pz IV. Exactly as described by Bruce Quarrie in his book on the Afrika Korps.


Zvezda models are always a joy to assemble, and the Pz II was no exception. As an earlier model it hardly had any parts at all, and the detail is just exquisite.


It is much smaller than my Peter Pig Pz IIs, but that is fine, as it is a very small tank. 


Lovely sharp detail and edges. I just added a jerrycan and a bit of spare track from my spares box to this, as the Zvezda models as supplied are quite plain. 


My usual 'sand over grey' paint job came out really well on this, and looks a lot like the photos of similar vehicles in the desert - who had sand paint hastily applied over their panzergrau basecoat. Although it wasn't as common as modellers like to show, I left the base grey paint showing behind the turret numbers. 

The hull was too small for any of my Balkan Cross decals, so I just drew it on with a lining pen. I'm very pleased with how that turned out.


No comments:

Post a Comment