Thursday 25 January 2024

15mm Zvezda Pz IVD

 The last DAK panzer was this Zvezda Panzer IV D, which I wanted to look like the oldest, most beaten up old clunker in the German Army.


The model is supplied with a closed turret and no turret bin. It is one of the  older Zvezda models so only had four parts, but went together nice and cleanly. I added the aerial deflector to the gun using 0.5mm brass, as it is an iconic feature of the early Pz IVs, and shows up suprisingly well.


You can see the early pattern stepped hull front and square bow MG position very clearly. Lots of lovely detail brought out by the wash and drybrush. They grey basecoat shows nicely through the upper layers of sand.


As a bin less Pz IV turret just looks...wierd, I added lots of external stowage. PSC Jerrycan and helmet/blanket roll. The heap of junk on the engine deck is from a BF M10 tank destroyer I think.


For the overall paint scheme on this one, I went with one of the very, very hastily painted vehicles. So not only have the turret numbers and crosses been left with a grey background, but the lower hull sides are also still panzer grey - some Grants and Shermans had similar schemes with the lower hulls left in OD.

Anyway, it adds to its beaten up appearance I feel.


And here is Bruce Quarries 'representative panzer company' marching across the dining table.

Now I just need to assemble and paint all the other panzer, but this lot will do for now. 



7 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thank you, it does have a quaint early war charm as a model.

      Delete
  2. I think I have some old Roco Panzer IV turret bins; the original model was closer to 1:100.
    Neil

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I partly like 15mm stuff as it reminds me of the old Roco models. 15mm figures are also about the same size as the original Airfix ones too (Combat Group etc). Anyway, Pz IV turret bins may come up in a future post...

      Delete
  3. Looks fantastic Martin! I finished this zvezda guy a number of years ago:

    https://soundofficerscall.blogspot.com/2015/07/dak-panzer-iv-ausf-de.html?m=1

    But I like yours much, much better. Mine have more of an "olive" vrs "desert" ring to them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, but that is a pretty smart Pz IV, you've even got the DAK insignia on it! I don't think my fat fingers are up to that these days. Sand coloured vehicles just cry out for a wash and a dry brush, it seems to work better on them than green or grey ones (they are darker to start with I guess).

      Delete
    2. Thanks Martin. I used a set of Tamiya tweezers specially made for decals. I despise putting decals on.
      The paint was Testors' "Afrika Mustard" which I've had a love/hate relationship with. Despite the name, I dont feel looks very authentic but yet I keep buying it :)

      You're right any desert paint scheme needs so e help with a dry brush and wash.

      Delete