Thursday 7 March 2024

15mm Lesney Scammell recovery lorry

 One of Tims generous donations was this old Lesney diecast model of a Scammell recovery lorry. I actually had one very similar in my 20mm collection, and it was just crying out to be painted up as a Corps asset.


It is a diecast model, so no assembly required. The original is supplied in bronze green, but I just glued the wheels in position and undercoated it dark grey. The only wear and tear is that part of the hook has come off, but it isn't really noticeable.


It is a really nice model, and pretty much bang on for 15mm. 


Plenty of nice raised detail to take a drybrush.


You can see the broken hook from this angle.

Being a complete cheapskate, I've done this in SCC2 Camo Brown with black disruptive camo. This will then be good for most of the war from about 1941 onwards, and in particular, it can pass muster for the desert without me having to do one in sand camo as well. Both 'light mud' and 'sand pink' were rather darker than Light Stone, so this will do. There is a photo of a Scammell in exactly this scheme driving into Tripoli.

I used to do all my NWE softskins in SCC2, generally with Mickey Mouse camo or whatever, not sure why I switched to plain green. Anyway, having hit on the SCC2 solution, I'll repaint some of my other vehicles brown to make them a bit more flexible for different theatres. Even 6pdrs were still in SCC2 in Normandy, so I may (re) do some brown guns as well.




5 comments:

  1. I think some lend lease vehicles to Russia also arrived in that colour scheme.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, brown was a pretty common base colour in 42/43 (some sort of chemical shortage which precluded green paint) and persisted well into 1944, despite them all supposedly being repainted green.

      Delete
  2. They did some nice military diecasts back in the day. I think somewhere I have a Thornycroft tank transporter and Centurion tank. as well as the Scammel there were 4 and 6 wheel trucks and one with an office body. Might be Fodens not sure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I've Commer Ambulance which I think is also Lesney.

      Delete
  3. Oh I forgot there was a Saladin and Saracen too. I think I have the Saladin, but the gun is broken IIRC. Still fixable.

    ReplyDelete