Tuesday 26 March 2024

I am the passenger...

 I ride and I ride and I ride. With many apologies to Iggy Pop.



I've had these old Peter Pig Horch cars for decades, originally in desert yellow for my old 15mm Desert armies, these survived the turn of the century cull and were repainted grey as you can never have too much transport. I never bothered with crew, but sometimes that rather limits their use, so I finally got around to adding some passengers. 



These fine chaps are pretty much all that is left of my PSC seated Germans from the Sdkfz 251 set. Very useful figures indeed, and mercifully slight, so easy to get into vehicles. I added in a spare PP officer who can be looking around for trouble. I just did these in plain field grey uniforms. 


And here they are crewed up. Ideally they'd have three figures in each, but even just a couple looks OK. 


Driver and bloke in the back. I had to chop the legs off the drivers,  but you cant see they are legless.


Driver and standing officer. I gather from Chris K that the vehicle commander was supposed to stand up in tactical situations. Better awareness etc. He looks rather business like.


This one has three figures, the standing machinegunner is a spare Sdkfz 251 gunner with MG34 in the firing position. He fits neatly behind the windscreen. 

I'm very pleased with those, they will do nicely as Panzergrenadiers now. I should probably rebase them too, as they still have their old desert bases of sand on top of corrugated cardboard! I've been using artists mount board since the late 90s, so goodness knows how old these are.


4 comments:

  1. Love this sort of vehicle Martin. The models look great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. They have seen a lot of use over the years as they take up less table space than larger trucks, yet are still clearly softskin transport.

      Delete
  2. I know some people don't like Martin's chunky windscreens, but at least they survive the rigors of gaming without bending or breaking.
    When I did my late war motorised panzergrenadiers I went with the gypsy caravan look with some of these, SdKfz 10 & 11 halftracks, Opel Blitz trucks, Kfz 16 cars and sundry captured vehicles a CMP 15cwt truck, Soviet M3 Scout Car and a US Dodge 1.5t truck.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, they are very sturdy models and stand the rigours of handling by fat fingered wargamers very well!

      Delete