Thursday 29 February 2024

15mm Peter Pig German Motorcycles

 My DAK force needed some motorcycles, both for the recce elements and the attached motorcycle battalions.

Although I have some old Roco motorcycle combos in panzergrau, I wanted some new ones as well as they will do for later war motorcycle troops in Europe and Russia too. These are Peter Pig ones, although other manufacturers are available.


Being a complete cheapskate I bought one bag of m/cycle combinations (each with a bike and sidecar) and one of single bikes. Half of them are reserved for the Italians, although tbh with sand coloured bikes ridded by blokes in sandy coloured uniforms, they will all end up looking much alike.


They are lovely castings, although there aren't any obvious locating lugs for the sidecar. You just have to glue it in place and hope for the best. The motorcycle sidecar rider is supplied with a separate head, which also needs gluing in place, otherwise no assembly is required.


They have lots of detail, nice deep lines and perhaps more important, plenty of character. I'd originally planned to base some dismounted troops next to the single bikes to thicken them up a bit, but in the end decided against it. I have some single mounted bikes I use for Russian recce troops, and they look fine on the tabletop.  


With such nice deep castings, they take a wash and a drybrush really well. I also picked out the numberplates on the mudguards in white and dobbed one some black 'registration numbers' with my micron lining pen.

Very pleased with those, much nicer than my old Roco plastic motorcycles. 


2 comments:

  1. 15 Kradschutzen battalion played an important part in the early desert battles. Eureka do some very nice 15mm Bersaglieri motorcycles.
    Neil

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Neil, I'll have a look at Eureka at some point. I've discovered that along with lorries, jeeps and carriers, you can never have too many motorcycles.

      Delete