Wednesday 26 October 2022

On to the 6mm Napoleonic Russians

 The other 6mm Napoleonic box has my Russians in it, plus wagons and things.


This one is a bit emptier than the other. I expect that will change when I've thinned the figure count per base out a bit. I've already got all the leaders (rebased on pennies) over on the right hand side.


Russian cavalry and guns. I realised fairly quickly that rather than actually taking them off the old bases, I could simply cut down the existing bases as I've fortunately lined up the magnabase strips underneath in such a way which made this easy. The guns were originally on 30x40, so if I was lucky I could get two useable 30x20 bases out of it once I'd pried the horse teams off. The row of guns in the right hand column are all the French artillery which has had the cutting treatment.

The cavalry were originally on 30x30 bases, so I basically had to just cut 5mm off the leading and trailing edges. I wish I'd thought to do this for the French and British stuff. Oh well. I've got plenty of card and magnbase, it is just the latter is quite expensive.


Some rather ployglot units, supply wagons (30x40), Cossacks (30x30) and some Russian leaders (30x30).  The wagons just needed trimming, and both the leaders and Cossacks (all H&R) had originally been based on very thin plywood, so it was quite easy to pry the plywood off the card bases. I was going to base the Cossacks in more open order (2-3 figures per base) as they were irregular cavalry.


The Russian infantry, plus over on the right all the leaders I'd already rebased and the various limbers and teams I've taken off the existing artillery bases. I was just going to do enough limbers to use for pure Horse Artillery units and leave them out for foot artillery. 


The Russians are all H&R and were obtained third hand from John A, so I didn't paint any of these. They are utterly exquisite figures, a masterclass in how to paint 6mm over a black base with just the highlights. They have even got the pack straps, different coloured pom poms for each regiment and the Shako cords painted on. Unbelievable, and they rather put my teenage daubings in perspective. 

This lot currently has eight bases of Guards (each of two ranks of four plus four Jagers)  and sixteen bases of line infantry (each of two ranks of six). All the figures are based in strips of ultra thin plywood, which makes it quite easy to get them off the current bases in one piece.

The slightly daunting job in the future will be to get the paint jobs on my existing stuff up to snuff to compete with these figures. Fortunately I have learned a thing or two about painting 6mm figures in the last 40 years, as I certainly don't intend to re-paint hundreds of figures from scratch.
 


4 comments:

  1. That sounds like an ace paint job on the Russians! Why were they ever parted with?!?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it was one of those big Army swap deals conducted at the club. The stuff I got was a surplus 25% of the original swapped army. I've no idea who painted them originally.

      Delete
  2. Marvellous 6 mm Russians. Exquisite is a good description!
    Regards, James

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are quite inspirational and give some good tips for effective 6mm painting.

      Delete