Tuesday 14 November 2023

Wargames Developments Autumn Virtual Gathering 2023

 Although started in lockdown this "virtual gathering" is now a regular annual fixture as the hive mind of WD assemble for an afternoon/evening of presentations and discussions (actual games are put on at VCOW in winter).

I took part in three sessions:

1. Wargaming East Asian Wars 1937 to 1954

This took the format of a short presentation from the panel and then we broke out into breakout sessions to discuss various aspects of warfare in this theatre and period. There were two rounds of breakouts and then a feedback session.

It is always fascinating to hear other peoples points of view on subjects like this. It isn't a period/theatre I've gamed that much outside strategic (particularly naval) games a very long time ago, and there some interesting thoughts to come away with. 

2. Mathew Brady - The First War Photographer

This was a very interesting presentation by Terry Martin. I must confess I'd never heard of Mathew Brady, but I recognised many of his photos. The session also provided broad coverage on the history of war photography and included some images I'd never seen before from the very earliest days of photography.

3. War Films and Wargames: 'What are the hinges'

This was a panel session on the links between war films and war gaming, with a 'starter for 10' from the panel (of which I was one), followed by a more extensive group discussion by the participants.

I chose to focus on the story aspects of cinema and how it overlaps and informs wargaming, particularly in terms of both intellectual and emotional impact, story arcs, producing a sense of place and time and perhaps most important, producing a mental picture of what 'war' looks like, however (in) accurate.

This session prompted lots of discussion and interation, and very useful list of film recommendations.

I don't recommend using Kellys Heroes as a painting guide for WW2 US infantry though (as I did back in the early 1970s!).

That was a great way to spend an afternoon/evening and I'll look forward to the next one.



No comments:

Post a Comment