Wednesday 15 February 2023

6mm Napoleonic Prussians

 Next pocket army is the Prussians. Like the British, this lot were bought as an Irregular Army Pack from Gamers in Exile back in the mid 1980s and originally based for WRG. As they are blokes in dark blue uniforms, they have often been used as French Allies, or even French infantry or stood in for Dutch-Belgians etc on occasion. Like the British, these guys are veterans of Waterloo, twice!


This is their end of the infantry box, the guns and leaders are in the other box.


The Prussians have four artillery peices and four limbers. As with the British, they are generic enough to use for anyone who doesn't have green (French/Russian) or bright ochre (Austrian) gun carriages.

These were largely repainted completely (horses, limbers, guns) although the gunners just needed a bit of tarting up.


While we are on logistic elements, these are my venerable HR French horse carts from the mid 1970s. I've already got plenty of wagons in my nineteenth century armies but as I've got these I repainted them to go with the Napoleonic stuff. They were originally a very odd blue/green shade so I've done them in mid Olive Green with an ink wash and repainted the horse teams completely as they were in various odd matt Humbrol Enamel camouflage colours (field grey and khaki mostly!).


The leader stands which are obviously Prussian. The others are more generic apart from the two 'British' ones and Napoleon. 

The figures just had their hands and faces redone, along with the various peripherals (hats, saddle cloths). They guy with the powdered wig is Blucher. I redid the horses completely.


The Prussian infantry permutations are a bit more complex than the British as they have Line infantry, Fusiliers, Jagers and I also need some way to represent the later Landwehr if I need to.

I did the usual tarting up on the figures (flesh, weapons, hats, cuffs and pack straps). The biggest problem with these figures is that the Line figures all have very badly painted single white cross-straps off their haversacks. I can't even find in my old painting guides where I got the idea this was an actual thing.

In the end I did my best to tidy them up, but I couldn't face repainting hundreds of infantry tunics, so I'll just have to live with it.


Infantry basing permutation one is two ranks in close order. I'll use this for Landwehr in 1815 etc. Like the British, these were originally in six figure strips, but I cut them down to four figures for WRG 40 years ago, so easy enough to do them in two ranks of four. 


Basing permutation option two is rear rank in close order, and a front rank of Fusiliers (the green jackets are very obvious) in open order at the front. I'll use this for Line infantry types, maybe mixed in with some close order bases too,


Basing permutation number three is bases of all Fusiliers. Rear rank in close order, front rank in open order, but all in green jackets and black webbing. I'll use this option as Line usually, but for those rules which insist on having seperate Light Infantry type units I can use it for those.



Like the British, the Cavalry is fairly sparse, just six bases, but I have loads of cavalry generally. In fact I wonder if I just had twelve bases of British cavalry originally? I can't recall what was in those Army Packs now.

The riders just needed a bit of touching up, but the horses were awful so I repainted them from scratch.


And some Jagers. Useful as extra stands, or for rules (like Neil Thomas) which have specific Jager type units. Like the British riflemen, I had to repaint these from scratch as the originals were in some sort of wierd mid green colour.


They can also stand together in one of NTs 2x2 formations, as well as pretending to be 95th Rifles or Brunswickers if they need to.

So, that is the Prussians, although tbh they've spent more time pretending to be French infantry or German minor states than Prussian. 




2 comments:

  1. Another cracking little force Martin, I wonder why your younger self painted horses such odd colours?! 😄

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was whatever pots of Humbrol Enamel I had available. They were heavily skewed towards aircraft and armoured vehicles. My knowledge of horse colouring was also fairly low when I was a kid. It certainly never occurred to me to paint socks etc. I did a better job on 20mm horses.

      Delete