Wednesday 22 February 2023

6mm Napoleonic Russians

 Last batch of re-based 6mm stuff and the last 'pocket army', this time the Russians. Unlike the French, British and Prussians these aren't veterans of WRG but more recent third hand acquisitions vis John A. Their battle pedigree isn't as long as the other 6mm Napoleonic stuff, but they have managed to fight at both Borodino and The Alma. These are all H & R figures.


The Infantry in their end of the box. None of these figures needed any re-painting as they were already exquisitely done when I got them, I just needed to sort them into units. The Russian infantry are bit more straightforward than their French, British and French counterparts, with tons of infantry and a few seperate (and quite rare) skirmisher units.


There are several bases of Russian Guard infantry, with huge hat plumes and these white flags. Originally they were  on thin marine plywood in strips of six, and by and large I just cut the strips up and re-did them as two ranks of close order infantry. 


The line types are very similar, minus the big plume things. I realised when sorting the figures out that the original painter had careful done different coloured hat poms poms for the different regiments, so I did my best to ensure they were grouped correctly. Like the Guards, just two ranks in close order for each of these bases.


There were also piles of Jagers, so I based them a bit more generously than the French, Prussian and British equivalents. Enough for two Neil Thomas type four stand Jager units. As they are skirmishers in dark uniforms, they will do as other types of jaeger as well as 95th Rifles etc. 


The Russians are not exactly short of artillery! They are all stunningly painted, and the reason I realised I needed to re-do all my other guns. They've got green gun carriages so will do for other armies too.


Most of them are various types of field gun like this one.


Plus a couple of large position guns with more crew figures around them.


The Russians aren't short of cavalry either.... you can see why I'm not too worried about a lack of British and Prussian cavalry figures. I'm very glad not to have painted all these horses myself. 


First up are all these lovely Lancers.


Then lots of dashing Hussars brandishing curvy sabres.


And finally quite a few bases of Heavy Cavalry, who will do for any nationality.

I had to fiddle around with the figure numbers on each base a bit to get these units to work but got there in the end and there is no great shortage of horsemen.


If all that lot weren't enough, there are also all these Cossacks. I based these more sparsely than the regulars as they are supposed to be irregular horsemen, and managed to stretch them out to make enough bases for two Neil Thomas style four base Cossack units.


Finally there were ten leader figures in various uniform permutations, so I based them up in pairs to match the Irregular command bases.

With that little lot, plus my nineteenth century Austrians and Italians, that should cover me for most things I'm interested in (well, maybe not Spanish or Portuguese). Now I just need to find some rules I'm happy with, and I won't be painting any more Napoleonic stuff until I do. 



2 comments:

  1. Hmm, thinking Napoleonic does look good in 6mm, I swapped my small 15mm Nap collection that was not going anywhere after 20 years .. I took up the spray paint challenge with Warlord Epic Scale (12.5 yeah .. but shoulder to shoulder not single figures) .. you could say teh same for ACW .. again I went shoulder to shoulder with Warlord .. wargaming butterfly that's me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did think about going with 15s for Naps, but I already had a load of 6mm and to be brutally honest, it has always been a peripheral period for me. Most Napoleonic rules are far too fiddly and/or complicated for my tastes.

    ReplyDelete