Wednesday 6 September 2023

15mm QRF Universal Carriers

 For my 15mm desert project I needed some carriers. Now, I already have more carriers than I can use, and if needs be I can repaint some in sand, but I wanted to get some new ones anyway as they aren't hugely expensive. 


And here they are motoring across the dining table. QRF do a wide range of carrier variants but I just went for Universal carriers.


 They are very neat little models and come with seperate tracks, two (partial) crew figures and no less than two Brens and  a Boys AT rifle. There was little bit of flash to clear up, and I had to slightly prise the front mudguards apart to get the tracks in, but they went together very well. 


I had a go at getting the ATR into the front weapon slit but in the end I just propped it up as there wasn't room for the rifle and the gunner. Of course I should have cut the breech off. Doh. I so propped up a Bren in the back and didn't bother with the (supplied) mount. If I get any more of these I'll mount the weapons in different combinations. 


The extra cew figures are from my huge bag of Old Glory carrier crew figures, which I have had for 25 years and is apparently inexhaustible. They are in NWE uniforms, but it was easy enough to file down the helmets and trim down the No 4 rifles. 

The carriers themselves I under coated grey then painted in a plain Light Stone finish. Vallejo Desert Yellow with a dark brown inkwash, followed by a heavy drybrush of the yellow again followed up with a light drybrush of Pale Sand. 

I'd normally do the tracks and running gear in mud, but for the desert I did the tracks khaki with and ink wash and a highlight of gunmetal. 

I have a system for painting 6mm desert stuff so that the Germans, British and Italians all look different, but for 15mm I need to come up with a more varied subtle technique. It is good to learn new stuff though. For the British transport I'll probably stick to this general approach, but I'll mix it up a bit more for tanks. I came across some useful basic painting guides on the Battlefront site, so I'll use those as a starting colour guide. 













2 comments:

  1. Can't beat a carrier! My dad was a driver in a Wasp.
    Desert colours are a subject all on their own. Fortunately there are lots of ready mixed paints. The Lifecolor ones are particularly useful for Italians.
    Neil

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Neil. For the Brits I'm mainly relying on Mike Starmer, but as long as things end up a sort of dirty, faded sand, that will be good enough. I am very fond of carriers, and already have far too many.

      Delete