Saturday 20 January 2024

Command and Colours Day

 We had another trip up to Tapton Hall for a Friday of f2f gaming before Christmas , and this time it was another Command and Colours Day. I was pleased to be able to go as I'd missed the last one and I enjoy the CnC game series. This time Tim and I both offered to put games on. 


Tim put on a Risorgimento scenario using a variant of Battle Cry. Yes, they are 54mm figures!


While I put on my Memoir 44 variant, Memoir 45. This scenario covered the battle at Sidi Omar during Rommels 'dash to the wire' in late 1941. This was using my new WW2 15mm desert stuff.

We'd originally planned to take it in turns running games, but so many  people turned up, we ran both game simultaneously. 



3rd Indian Motorised Brigade faces off against 21st Panzer Div. I managed to run this scenario three times (with various combinations of players) before lunch. Tim managed to run his game twice.

We then had an excellent Christmas Dinner with all the trimmings.


After lunch, we set up two new scenarios. Tims featured a river, including a gunboat!


The Neapolitans were holding a town on the edge of the river, assailed by Garibaldis rabble.


The gunboat took a bit of a battering. Tim ran this game twice.



I set up the Halfaya Pass scenario for Memoir 45 which I'd solo played previously. This one was a bit more challenging for the players as it features masses of fixed defences, including many minefields.


Matildas break through in the centre!

I managed to run this one twice, but after running five games in a row, I was a bit knackered.


A bonus was Tims various boxes of surplus toys. I'd already ordered some surplus 6mm WW2 infantry, but this box of 1/144th scale planes was great fun to rummage through. All the desert camo planes disappeared into my bag. I was strongly tempted by the Liberator, but I've got enough four engined bombers already I think.

What a great day out and good way to get set up for Christmas. I'll report on the games themselves separately.


4 comments:

  1. Looks like a great day's gaming.
    Neil

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it was a nice change of pace from the large all day games, and I do enjoy Command and Colours.

      Delete
  2. Thanks to Tim and Martin for a great day's gaming. I recall one of the Risorgimento games being the fastest I have ever known!

    Simon

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Simon, one of the downsides of the system is they can be very quick! I think Trebbia took about ten minutes, the setup time was far longer. Are you coming to the Urban Operations day in February? I'm hoping to run the Overlored Memoir 44 SCW or Arnhem?

      Delete