Thursday 27 June 2024

15mm SP 90mm AA gun

 Every Italian Army has to have at least one daft truck mounted heavy gun (my 6mm guys have a few).


In my case I went for a BPM 3D printed model of the autocannoni da 90/53. The 90L53 gun was originally a naval AA piece, but saw extensive land use as well as a dual purpose gun. In this version it was mounted on a Breda lorry.


This is a huge model, it is tall, wide and on a vast base. It was also a complete pig to get off its 3D print support, and I managed to break off one of the support legs, although they are quite thick so easy enough to stick back together. It came out as a decent, clean print though, although there is lots of flash on the undersides it is out of sight.

The model has three pieces, the truck body, gun mount and the gun barrel. I toyed with keeping the gun mount rotating, but it is so unwieldy in the end I glued it down.


I added a couple of PP Italian gunners as crew, as it looked a bit silly without them. I should probably work the figure bases in a bit better. You can see how nicely the gun is printed.


What a great hulking beast it is from the side. I just did it plain desert ochre, with layers of washes and drybrushing over a dark grey base. The detail on the gun and truck cab has come our quite well. It certainly has lot of attachment points to the base, and the dark grey undercoat hides all the moulding mess under the gun platform. Very pleased with that one!


2 comments:

  1. It's a beast isn't it?

    Regards, Chris

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, just ridiculous, even my 6mm ones are huge. Yet mysteriously, quite an effective weapon, which once against raises questions about the (non) use of the 3.7" AA gun in a similar. My Grandfather's Regiment were Heavy AA, they were all lost in Java being used as improvised coastal artillery against the Japanese.

      Delete