Thursday 20 May 2021

Zvezda Ferdinand

 Avid readers will  no doubt recall that I already have some Zvezda Ferdinands, but I don't have quite enough for some of the Command Decision Kursk scenarios which feature a whole battalion of them. As I was buying some stuff anyway, I added one to the list.


This is a great model, very reasonably priced and easy to assemble (unlike the Panther D). Very crisp mouldings, and not many parts to put together.


The armoured gun casemate is huge. The only let down are the tracks which are very simple ribbed affairs, but they paint up OK. The mouldings on the casemate are quite light so don't take a drybrush as well as other elements.


The running gear is lovely and reminds me of the better Roco models. I just put single balkan crosses on this as it won't get used enough to justify wasting precious turret numbers. It is in the same dunkelgelb and criss-cross green pattern as the others, with an inkwash to run into the crevices and light drybrush over the top. Tracks and running gear in mud with metal highlights.


The moulding on the engine deck and front plate is lovely and really brings it to life. Just look at those grills and rivets.


Here it is with its pals. The 654th rides again.

That was a load of fun to put together and paint. It probably won't see as much use, but off into the big box of  'silly late war German tank destroyers' it goes.



4 comments:

  1. Lovely job on that beast. Thanks for sharing the pics.

    I remember seeing the one that used to be at the Ordenance Museum at Aberdeen, MD in the US. They had a then new M1 Abrams, Tigers and all sort of armored beasts, but the Elephant struck me as the most omminous and threatening looking of them on that day. It just seemed utterly brutal.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The sounds fabulous. I've never seen a real Elephant.

      Delete
  2. Great work Martin, It seems to be a nice simple, but well detailed kit. Just what a gamer wants really.

    Was lucky enough to see one when they had the American one down at Bovington.

    Cheers,

    Pete.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These really are lovely models. Hilariously I now have no less than ten Ferdinands, six in 6mm, three 15mm and a monster 20mm one. I think I've used Elepants in precisely two games in the last 45 years, plus a game Tim G put on.

      Delete