Saturday 12 February 2022

Anchors aweigh!

 John was planning on a putting on a session at VCOW at the end of January and wanted to playtest it first. Anchors Away! is a career game covering officers in the United States Navy from 1796 to 1815 and similar to his earlier game on Royal Navy officers during the Napoleonic Wars.


Essentially it consisted of one (or more) slides covering significant events in that particular year, along with career progression options for the players. So in the example above a US Squadron is sent to the Med to fight Barbary pirates, and there is a chance for lucky Captains to be appointed to be Commodore in command.


For most of us it was a case of slogging it up through the ranks, but it was an excuse to wear a magnificent range of bicornes. I also broke out my ACW Shell Jacket as it looked rather naval with a standing collar.

I did start off with a Captain, but was ejected from the Navy in the great downsizing of 1800. Then it was being rejected as a Midshipman, followed by a spell on merchant ships, back in as a Mid and finally making it to Lieutenant in 1806. I was a Lieutenant for some years then promoted to Master and Commandant, but was fortunate to be promoted just as the Navy expanded rapidly in 1812 to deal with some unpleasantness with the British. All M&Cs were made full Captains. Hurrah! 


Things hotted up in 1812 and the years thereafter. I didn't die, but nor did I get promoted any more. Oh well.


The whole thing wrapped up with a summary of the achievements of the USN during the period. Very impressive indeed. 

That was an excellent playtest session and the game/lecture worked very well. I'm sure it will be a great success at VCOW 2022.




4 comments:

  1. I played this at VCOW and really enjoyed it.

    Cheers,

    Pete.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you enjoyed it. I thought it was a really interesting slice of history.

      Delete
  2. Great fun and now he has gotten me interested in the period!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL. I'm sure there are appropriate ship models available.

      Delete