Wednesday 15 March 2023

15cm SiG33

 My recent Stonne game revealed a slight gap in my German equipment, I didn't have a 15cm Heavy Infantry Gun. One quick order to QRF and the gap was soon rectified. 


The 15cm SiG33 is a quite a hefty piece, hard to see how it counts as 'infantry gun' at all! I can see why SP mounts were so popular for it. The model itself went together, despite my oft mentioned dislike of sticking metal gun kits together. Blu tak and slathering it in superglue seemed to do the trick.


I suspect this is a mould which doesn't get used a lot as the casting is very crisp, and takes a drybrush very nicely.  It painted the gun in a dark grey basecoat with a wash of RAL 6006, and then lightened with a highlight of green and then a very light drybrush of Iraqi sand to dust it up a bit. I generally do all my German artillery in field grey these days, good for the whole war like that.


The QRF models all come with gunners, I used a couple of the figures provided and put the others in the spares box (the figure with the rangefinder is far too useful to waste on a gun base). The third gunner is actually a repurposed US gunner in a jeep cap left over from the US 155mm, but he looks pretty Germanic in his cap. I did all the crew in Reed Green denim uniforms for a change (apart from the guy in the greatcoat). I also ran a bit of an an ink wash around some of the more detailed parts, you can see the crispness of the casting better from this angle.

tbh I can't imagine it getting a huge amount of tabletop use in its intended role, but it will come in useful as a supplement to my other German artillery as a stand-in for various types of field gun, and will hopefully mean I can use a bit less WW1 artillery as substitutes.

 


2 comments:

  1. Very nice - it is a big beast with no real equivalent in other armies really... which probably means something bad?

    Cheers,

    Pete.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess the closest would be the 105s in the US Cannon Companies, but even they arent really comparable in size. I think someone at the Reichsheer design bureau got a bit over excited.

      Delete