Wednesday 1 March 2023

British Truck Trio

 A wise person once said 'you can never have too many lorries', so I was very pleased when Tim donated three unwanted 15mm WW2 British lorries for my collection.



Here they are in the flesh, all with open backs so useful for putting in various types of supplies. The casting style looks quite familiar as I have some similar metal trucks in my collection.


The tallest one is a Matador. I've already got some Zvezda plastic Matadors.


And a long Bedford. The only Bedford I've currently got is a command vehicle.


The castings look very similar to this pair, which I picked up second hand many years ago. I repainted these in 49th Div markings.


This is confirmed by the third truck, short wheel base open backed Bedford which is identical to my other two with covers. 


I'm not sure who the manufacturer was, although given their general clunkiness I suspect SDD. I used to have quite a bit of SDD stuff although much of it was sold some time ago. I've only got a pair of SDD German armoured cars, one Sdkfz 251 and a few resin SCW Tiznaos now (and I think the latter were moulds which SDD purchased).

Both the Bedfords have similar indecipherable scratchings on the bottom, but the smaller Bedford also has the line '15B11'. So 15mm British model number 11.

I can't recall if SDD numbered their models that way. Anyone got any ideas?

Meanwhile it is off the the painting table with this lot.





4 comments:

  1. Yes SDD - sounds like the numbering system and the Bedfords look very familiar.
    I think the 15mm Tiznaos were direct copies of the 20mm range which may not originally have been SDD - I'm pretty sure the 15mm were only produced by SDD. The original owner of SDD, Steve Ward died not long ago at the end of 2019.
    Neil

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the Tiznaos were a very different sculpting style to the other SDD stuff.

      Delete
  2. I had never heard of SDD but a minute on Google revealed this so I would say you are correct! Nice looking inheritance, by the way.

    Armored Car (15mm). By: SDD Models. Stock #: SDD15B38.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought I recognised that numbering scheme! Although it must be well over 20 years since I bought any SDD.

      Delete