Tuesday 21 May 2024

Preparing and Painting Persians

 Although I have quite a few 20mm Ancient armies in plastic, I've always avoided the Persians as they only really had five major engagements I'm interested in. As you need hordes of them, and they are very fiddly to paint, the effort/reward ratio just wasn't worth it, unlike, say Romans, or Gauls or Hoplites. 

Anyway, the Netflix series Alexander the Great sadly piqued my imagination, so 15 years since I painted my last 20mm Ancients, Persians here we come.

I spent a degree of time looking at Army Lists in DBA, Lost Battles, Phalanx and Command and Colours to see how much stuff I needed and what I could get away with. The biggest issue is they start off with massed bows, and end up with lots of Auxilia and skirmishers, while also needing tons of cavalry. I'm not too fussed about using Immortals against Macedonians, they are just blokes with spears and big shields, which makes life a bit easier. So I worked out the minimum amount of stuff I needed and ended up buying far too much, as is always the way with boxes of plastic figures.

I'd completely forgotten I also  had a big bag of second hand Persians in the loft, as well as two four horse chariots, some Egyptians (with chariots) and what appears to be an entire spare Macedonian Army. Oh well. I just sorted through the pile and picked out the absolute minimum I could get away with painting, which was still quite a lot of stuff.


I started with the infantry as I hate painting horses and cavalrymen are so much more obvious as they don't have great big shields to hide behind. The plan was to base all the infantry up for painted ng, but just experiment with paint finishes on a dozen figures to start with.

The figures are a mix of Zvezda, HaT and Caeser. Coming across a second hand box of Caeser figures was a godsend as I was very short of infantry, and the also came with loads of spare shields and weapons. The bag of old Zvezda figures I had was missing all its shields and weapons, so I could re-use the Caeser ones with them as needed.

This lot should be enough for (in DBx terms) for 6 x Psiloi (Javelin), 6 x 4Bw, 2 x 2Bw, 8 x 3Aux, 4 x 3Aux/Sp, 4 x 4Sp - these last ones being four elements of Immortals, which when paired with four of the Bow units would make 4 x 8Bw. I also did some separate Leader figures. 

Figure prep was OK as very few of the figures had any significant flash. I had to assemble the various weapon and shield combos, and I had to make some extra shields for three Immortals as they were missing, but I had enough spare spears for the other figures. I then stuck them to their temporary bases and undercoated them in undiluted PVA.


Once the PVA has dried (overnight), I undercoated them. First spray black prime, then  a misting of white to catch the highlights. This bit is all a bit laborious, but worth it in my experience, especially on soft plastic figures. 

I was then able to start on the experimental figures. I did a dozen Javelin skirmishers and a dozen Apple Bearers, so a mix of irregular and slightly more regular figures, the latter in something approaching a 'uniform'. I'd bought some extra colours at Hammerhead - orange, purple and a darker flesh tone, all Coat D'Arms pots as I hate dropper bottles for small amounts of paint. The waste is shocking. 

In the end I settled for blocking in the base colours, washing them in dark brown ink, then once dry, going over the highlights to mitigate any staining, then adding the final details, in particular, various stripes, spots, piping etc as well as the shield fronts. My collection of Posca Paint Pens were really useful for this as I could dab on tiny amounts of all sorts of wierd colours. Finally they got a coat of floor varnish, but I usually leave at least 24 hours before varnishing as it can make the ink run if you do it too soon.


By now I had a method which worked and I'd sorted out some colour combos which worked too, so then next batches were larger. Firstly the 24 generic infantry figures, and then the big batch of 24 Archers and 16 Immortals. I left the Archer skirmishers and leaders until last. I could block paint one batch while the paint or ink was drying on another lot.


The farthest two rows of figures are the test batches, but I'm pretty pleased with how they are coming out, even if the process is very labour intensive. They are taking over twice as long to paint as Romans, but I'll try and keep the numbers manageable. Irregular uniforms are always hard, they need a common colour palette, but each figure also has to be different to every other one. 


I've done enough to start basing them up now. The varnish has dulled some of the details so I'm having to go over some of the stripes and spots etc with my paint pens again as I go along. 


I'm rather pleased with how the Sapabara/Archers work. This can be an 8Bw element in DBA, or a 4Sp and a 4Bw element. So far so good, the finished articles will no doubt appear at some point in my long running Thursday Toy Day articles.




11 comments:

  1. Looking good! I was lucky in that most of my (25mm) Persians were already painted so I've only had to paint a few dozen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, you were lucky to have so many pre painted. I quite enjoy figuring out how to paint a new Army, but it is very time consuming.

      Delete
  2. The trouble with Persians is you need loads of them!
    One of my first proper armies was a grab-bag of 25mm Persians; Hinchliffe, Minifigs, Warrior and all sorts including Old Kingdom Egyptians with big shields, Cardaces, bows, slings, some Sassanids. I even had a converted King of Kings in a Hinchliffe 2 horse chariot, made from IIRC a Citadel Spacefarer in long robes! Long gone. Have unpainted 15mm and more lately 28mm.
    It strikes me you painting method is close to my new one with the difference being I use Contrast paints for the block colours which speeds things up dramatically!
    Neil

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You do need quite a few Persians! I've increasingly moved to a pale undercoat, and as a lot of the colours I'm using are quite runny, I do actually get a contrast effect, which works quite well. The ink wash helps reinforce the lowlights and sort of blends everything together. The real life saver has been the paint pens, which make it very easy to add stripes, spots and robe edging etc.

      Delete
  3. Great job, they look smashing. I'm wrestling with Persians myself for the same reasons you mention.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. It took a while to get started, but now I have a method which works, a sort Irregular pattern of base colours which I can apply systematically,, they are a bit quicker to paint. I'm determined to paint only the minumum number I can get away with, which is still quite a few.

      Delete
  4. They look excellent so the effort seems worth it. What are the paint pens you mention and what else have you used them for?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are Posca Paint Pens, you can get them in Rymans or online. They come in a range of colours and widths - I got a multi coloured pack of the ultra fine ones (supposedly 0.5mm but they come out more like 1mm) as well as gold and silver. I mainly use them for WW2 vehicle markings and base labels, but they have turned out to be excellent for doing fiddly bits on Ancient figures too, and I get to use some of the more silly colours (like lilac).

      Delete
    2. I'll look out for them. I've found a white paint pen useful for things like window frames on small building models.

      Delete
    3. Yes, pens in general are useful. I've used a micron lining pen for decades for black lining.

      Delete
  5. Excellent tip on the paint pens, Martin. I have some 15mm DBA Persians that I may give it a go on.
    https://pigsinspaaace.wordpress.com/2024/02/15/dba-3-0-beyond-the-yangtze-year-29-year-of-the-peacock/

    ReplyDelete