Thursday 5 September 2024

6mm Higgins Boats

 Last years Sicily Megablitz game made me realise I could do with some Landing Craft of my own. I wanted to get something fairly generic which I could use with both my 6mm and 15mm stuff. I spent a considerable amount of time looking at the dimensions of various landing craft, and then trying to convert them into 1/300th, 1/200th and 1/100th scale. 


In the end I settled on some 3D printed Higgins Boats from BPM, they do them in all three scales, but these are 1/300th. They get exponentially more expensive as they get bigger due to the volume of material involved.


These are lovely little models. They come with a separate bow ramp which you can presumably model as open if you wish. I wanted mine sailing along. I got these in the cheaper APL and you can see a few striations, but generally the detail is very crisp. 


I undercoated them Dark Sea Grey, gave them a heavy drybrush of Light Sea Grey, then added some Dark Sea Grey disruptive camo. The whole thing was finished off with another light drybrush. They are just mounted on card painted blue, with a light blue 'bow wave' and 'wake'.


Very nice models (roughly 45mm long?) , but sadly rather too small to look sensible with my 15s (example above). I've ordered some 1/200th scale ones as well, so hopefully they will be big enough. The ones I've got will do for my 6mm stuff.



2 comments:

  1. Yes, sadly too small unless you run the whole naval side in a small scale ( "no Dougal, those are far away..." ).

    For some reason your new posts are not appearing at the top of my blog list, so I keep missing them!
    Neil

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was a bit annoyed as I borrowed some 6mm landing craft for a game with 15mm stuff and they were fine. I guess they were LCTs or something. This is when I miss actually being able to look at stuff in a shop!

      Delete