Wednesday 18 September 2024

Autocanone 105

 The Italian forces in the desert built all manner of self propelled guns on truck chassis, christened Autocanone. The elite RECAM recce brigade in particular had lots of these, on a range of chassis including captured British trucks. They were a step up from the British 'portee' concept.

Now, BPM do make a 105mm Italian gun truck, but the cheapskate in me also noticed that they sell just the gun mount as a separate (and very inexpensive) item. 


Ta da! One 105mm Autocanone. In the back of a captured French truck.


The gun and mount is removeable, so it can face the opposite direction as well.


All I did was assemble the gun (it comes as barrel and mount) and stick it on some card. The card is sized to fit a range of different trucks, and I put some steel paper on the underside as a number of my trucks have magnabase on the truck bed.

I just painted it overall yellow ochre and gave it an ink wash and drybrush. It could probably do with some crew as well, but I've apparently run out of Italian gunners and need to buy some more.  


Having bought and built the 105mm, I was a tad annoyed to discover this gun barrel in my spares box. I think I'd planned to build one all along and had completely forgotten I'd already got a suitable gun, it just needed a mount building. I've also got a spare Breda 20mm barrel as well, so I could build a couple more conversion mounts I guess.


1 comment:

  1. IIRC the autocannone batteries were attached to RECAM rather than being an integral part. A bit like the 102mm autocannone attached to Ariete from Milmart.
    Some ideas:

    https://tanks-encyclopedia.com/category/ww2-italian-autocannoni/

    Neil

    ReplyDelete