Wednesday 2 March 2022

A bit more ACW stuff

Having got a bit of a production line going with the 6mm ACW figures, I thought I may as well crack on and paint a couple more units. A 'couple' of units ended being something of an underestimate...


The latest additions to the 6mm ACW forces. A bit more than I'd planned to do!


The Union got four more close order infantry units. One in hats, the other three in kepis. I do like the look of the double ranked bases. Just normal infantry.


The Confederates also got four more units. Another one of ragamuffins in various shades of grey and butternut, and three rather more uniformed units. One in kepis and greatcoats, one in hats and another in kepis and shell jackets. I  painted the dark blue hat bands on the kepis of this lot, which required something of a steady hand.


I did a few bases of Union skirmishers too, enough for a 'unit' in some of the Neil Thomas rules. They are also useful to indicate a units skirmish strength in Bloody Big Battles, and can just be added to units as required for rules with varying unit base counts.


The Confederates got some skirmishers too. Not sure if I'll use these much for the level of game I normally play, but extra bases are always handy, and my APW/FPW skirmisher bases see quite a surprising amount of action.


A couple more batteries of Union artillery. I also painted up some of the limbers which came in the box. These had two strips of horses and a single piece casting of the limber. They painted up easily and went together fine. Nice to have some logistic elements to push around.


The Confederates also got a couple of batteries and limbers. The limbers don't have riders so can be used for either side. I very nobly painted the red kepi bands on these gunners headgear.


More logistic stuff. I did a couple of stands of horse holders for the existing cavalry units, a couple of higher HQs with an officer and flag bearer, and a couple of wagons. The wagons and limbers are on half width bases. so in the unlikely event the base width matters (eg for Horse, Foot and Guns?), I can just put two of the elements together. 


The Confederates got the same. Unlike the limbers, the wagons weren't much fun to assemble. They only had four horses to paint (hooray!) but they were cast with separate wheels (boo!) which all needed sticking on to the tiniest locating pins possible (boo!!!). If I ever do any more wagons for the ACW guys, I'll use the  Irregular single piece castings instead. Some of the wheels fell off again as I was painting them and I ended up bodging the things together with great dobs of UHU. They do look very nice assembled however.

That is probably most of the stuff I'm likely to need. I might do another cavalry unit or two for each side, and maybe some more skirmisher bases, but I'll see how it goes. Now I need to actually play some games with them.


2 comments:

  1. They look great Martin.

    Good save on the wagon as they look spot on.

    Cheers,

    Pete.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Pete. I always like to have a few wagons for nineteenth century games. Hopefully they will have their combat debut next week!

      Delete