Wednesday 20 July 2022

Syborg 76mm gun

 To go with the SZT tractors, I also got a couple of M1939 USV Divisional Guns,  as you can really never have too much Soviet artillery.



Here they are ready to repel the Hitlerites, and at the princely sum of £1 each, I really couldn't resist.


These are lovely little models, although one had a lot of print bristles (? little threads? , not sure how to describe them) which needed trimming off. There was also some ridging on the gun shields and trails, but a bit of filing and a couple of coats of PVA largely sorted it out.


Nice crisp detail on the breech and gun controls. Unlike the PSC versions, these don't have muzzle breaks, which to my mind actually looks better. Maybe I should cut the PSC ones off.

The guns got a base coat of Vallejo 894, then a dry brush of VJ Russian Uniform which I think looks pretty good. 


You can see the recuperator etc have been printed well. The gunners are a couple of spare PSC figures. I'm running a bit short of these now, but the surplus ones I had left over have lasted for years now.

I tried  a different (lighter) shade of green on their helmets and I think it looks better on the smaller scale figures. If I can face it might re do all my infantry helmets at some point as I've often thought they look a bit dark. 


And here are the guns with the tractors. Yes, they would probably be towed by horses, GAZ trucks or Studebakers in real life, but the tractors look nice.

A welcome addition to my Soviet army., and so cheap! 



4 comments:

  1. What do you use for the main infantry uniform colour? VJ Russian uniform seems too green to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I use English Uniform (ie Khaki). It is a good match for both my repro WW2 Russian tunics and my original padded jacket. There was a huge range of tones in Soviet unifoms depending on the material used, ranging from light tan to dark green, but even the issue jackets with a more greenish tone aren't as green as the Vallejo colour when scaled down to 15mm.

      Delete
  2. They look great. Seems to be a slight issue with the tyres on really close inspection. Can't complain for £1.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, close up there are various oddities, but for a quid each I'm not complaining. The worst thing was the one model covered in printing threads which took ages to trim off.

      Delete