Thursday 7 July 2022

Syborg Ford V3000 Flak

 On my recent trip to Partisan I picked up a few more 15mm 3D printed models from the Syborg stand.


The first one is a Ford V3000 in a Maultier configuration and mounting a 3.7cm Flak. Tens of thousands of Ford 3 ton trucks were built by the Germans and around 14,000 of them were fitted with tracks. Some of these went on to be SP Flak mounts and as my 15mm Germans are a bit short of SP Flak, I thought this would be a useful addition. 


The Ford isn't hugely different from an Opel Blitz and similar trucks. This is an early version with a metal cab rather than the later wooden ones. It is a reasonably crisp print, there is a bit of lining on the on cab roof and bonnet but Graham Evans had the brilliant suggestion of slathering on a few coats of undiluted PVA, which has helped smooth it out no end. 


Oh joy of joys, the gun mount rotates. Some of the printed detail on this is just amazing, and some of it is a bit blobby, it is very different to a metal casting though, more like a ready assembled injection moulded kit.


You can see the lovely detail on the tracks and wooden slats. I added the gunner from a seated PSC Panzergrenadier. I didn't have a suitable figure to fit to the gunners seat on the other side (which would need to be a bit more lying back) so this would have to do.

I briefly considered doing this in three tone camo, but I went with panzer grey as I don't have any early war SP Flak at all, just towed stuff. It will do for late war too I guess. Otherwise I just dirtied it up with some mud and dust. I was also going to put some balkan crosses on it, but I scoured lots of photos and didn't find a single example of a truck or halftrack mounted Flak piece having crosses on them , just Flakpanzers, so I left them off.

It is a nice model, a bit bigger than an Sdkfz 10 but it will be a useful addition. I seem to have lots of scenarios which feature SP Flak weapons and this will make a change from  my overused Sdkfz 251/17.




2 comments:

  1. Very nice Martin.

    Cheers,

    Pete.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Pete. It is a nice little model and I was eyeing it up at the previous Partisan.

      Delete