Wednesday 13 July 2022

Syborg STZ Tractor

 I wanted to get some more Russian tractors. I've got plenty of trucks and horses, but there is something very Soviet about artillery tractors. Ideally I'd have got some Konsomlets tractors, but the STZ was all Syborg had.


I got two as one would just be silly. These are very angular so not much problem with lining on the 3D print, just a little bit on the cab roof which I filed and then prepped with PVA.


These are really nice little models and compare very favourable with my resin Battlefront ones. The size is identical, and although some of the detail is a bit more crude, they are vastly cheaper, and I like cheap.


The wood slats have nice deep grooves which show up well. I went for the open topped version in case I need to put anything in the back (dice, markers, quad AA guns?). 


For some reason the track assemblies on 3D prints are often really nice, whereas I've seen some utterly awful metal castings. These ones look pretty good.

It is Russian, so it is green. The basecoat is Vallejo 894 which I use for all Russian kit, but Squeaky Pete had suggested using Vallejo Russian Uniform so I drybrushed a load of that on as a highlight and it worked pretty well. Easier than mixing up some 894 with ochre which is what I usually do.

Otherwise I just slapped loads of 'mud' on the running gear and did light overall drybrush to pick otu the hard edges.
 


2 comments: