Thursday 7 December 2023

15mm BPM Pak 36

 Although in popular culture DAK was apparently entirely armed with 88mm AT guns, a significant proportion of the panzerjaeger were actually lowly 37mm Pak 36, certainly in 1941. They were increasingly replaced by heavier guns in 1942, but were more than adequate against the early British Vickers Lights and various models of cruiser.


I bought a pair of BPM resin Pak 36, although I do have some spare PSC ones as well. 


As they are resin, they are lovely crisp prints, just like the Pak 38s. No assembly required and very, very cheap.


The only problem is that they are moulded with the legs very far apart, so far apart I had to put them on extra wide bases, which is a bit of a pain when it comes to putting them in storage boxes. I tried to bend the legs back on one of them, but they just snapped off. Did you know that thin resin is very hard to stick back together? Well I do now.

With metal legs I can just bend them, and the plastic PSC ones I assembled with them closer together. A minor issue but one to be aware of.


I also thought they looked a bit on the tall side, but having added some (PP) crew, I'm not sure sure. I just think the Pak 38s are very low indeed, and don't have the shield extension piece on the top.


Anyway, they are smart little guns and an easy way to add some AT capability. I deliberately did the gunners in more heavily green uniforms so they could (if necessary) be pressed into service in Normandy, shooting a Stielgranate at Lt Winters in Carentan, or bouncing shells off T34s in the Ukraine in 1943. 




2 comments:

  1. You can give the spares to the Italians.....☺
    Neil

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am sure they will greatly appreciate them.

      Delete