Thursday 28 December 2023

15mm Desert Pocket Armies - British Stage Two

 More of my 15mm British desert stuff. This 'stage two' is the British bits that I couldn't face painting as part of 'stage one' as referenced here, but I actually bought it all at the same time or had in stock.


This lot is entirely vehicles, I wanted to tackle the easier tanks, guns and softskins in stage one before moving on to the more complex colour schemes here.


A couple of quads to tow the 25pdrs, and three CMP 15cwt trucks. These are all QRF models. The CMPs needed a certain amount of work, and I already have some (20 year old) QRF Quads. It is interesting how these ones are different to my older ones, although supposedly still the old Denzil Skinner moulds.


Some Stuarts! Or Honeys, also QRF. I actually meant to get four of these, but for some reason only bought three. I actually have a fourth on order as I type. I went with Mike Starmers MFVA guide and the painting guide in 'Benghazi Handicap' for the various Caunter schemes the first lot of Honeys were painted in.

I'd have got the Quads and CMPs from PSC and some Zvezda M3 Stuarts, but these were so much cheaper in comparison.


Finally, I painted up the old Lesney diecast Scammell recovery truck I got from Tim a while ago. I did this one in SCC2 brown with black disruptive so it will do for both Europe and the desert. There is a nice photo of a Scammell tank transporter driving into Tripoli in exactly this scheme, whereas there is another photo of one of these towing a Matilda up Halfaya Pass painted in Caunter. Oh well, you have to choose sometimes.

 


4 comments:

  1. Lovely stuff Martin!
    Honeys are always a dilemma; plain stone or Caunter. My plan was to compromise and have one unit in the brigade in Caunter and the rest plain stone.
    Neil

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In the end I went with Crusader era patterns, I did some in the very pale stone grey over sand scheme, so they look quite light from a distance.

      Delete
  2. The CMP trucks look very crisp …. Are they resins?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are mainly metal, but the rear bodies are resin. They are actually fairly awful models, but came out OK. I'll do a separate post on them.

      Delete