Thursday 18 July 2024

15mm Italian '75mm' guns

 I wanted some field guns for my Italians, but found it frustratingly hard to find any. There are seemingly plenty of medium guns in things like the Irregular Really Useful Gun ranges, but could I find some Italian 75mm guns? No. Well, maybe Battlefront used to do some and they are OOP.


Well, BPM do these 100L17 howitzers, but tbh they look very like 75/27 field guns as well, particularly with those very Italian curved mudguards, so these will have to do. I got two of them for now.


They are very neat little models and came off the printing flash fine. These have got some very obvious striations on the mudguards and gunshield, but I managed to sand a lot of it down OK. The gun barrel is printed separately but fixes on easily with very obvious locating points.


The trail and breech are nicely modelled. I crewed both guns with three gunners as befits field artillery. The crew figures are Peter Pig.


The same basic desert ochre paintjob as the other Italian stuff. They look like rather businesslike models and as the only Italian field artillery I've got, I expect they will be seeing a lot of action. The Command Decision desert scenarios feature lots of Italian field artilley on table, waiting to be crunched by Matildas or Crusaders.




13 comments:

  1. Martin,
    It's a real frustrating gap in the market.
    The best I could find was the RUG 75mm Krupp which gives a good impression of a Cannone da 75/27 m06. The modified 75/27 m12 could be produced from it but would need a lot of work.
    By chance, a few years ago, I bought some WW1 figures from Italy - a sadly defunct Italian company who's name I cannot recall, which included a lovely Cannone da 75/27 m11 the funky French Deport.
    The model is two parts and I have contemplated making a mould, but have never got around to it.
    Neil

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was amazed I couldn't find an actual 75. Thanks for your suggestion of the RUG Krupp 75mm, I might give that a go. As I said in the post, perhaps Battlefront used to do one.

      Delete
    2. Martin,
      I'm pretty certain they didn't; 100mm Skoda but no 75mm.
      Neil

      Delete
  2. good looking painted artillery and it's crew! The bad thing - there are too visible layers of printing on the gun model.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, some models are more stripey than others. These don't look too bad on the table.

      Delete
  3. I found an stl file for the Italian 75-32 Modello 37 Gun but not the earlier model. Strangely the 65mm and 100mm guns seem much easier to find.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is very odd isn't it? The 65mm I can understand, but the obsession with the 100mm instead of the much common 75mm, I can't.

      Delete
  4. Bayonets and brushes should have a Cannone 75-27 Modello 1911 in their next lot of releases I've just been told. They sell 3d prints rather than files.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bayonts and Brushes have released a model of the Obice da 75/13 Mod.1915, (Skoda designed) mountain gun.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great work. 15mm range much bigger than the current 10mm range.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Is it? I'm surprised. 10/12mm seems to be the new 15mm as far as I can see.

      Delete
  7. This is now available as a file - https://www.wargaming3d.com/product/cannone-75-27-model-1911-italy-ww1ww2/ so printed models should be available from battlefield3d.com in due course.

    ReplyDelete