Tuesday 11 January 2022

6mm Union Artillery and Zouaves

 More 6mm Union stuff, this time the guns and the two 'Zouave' units required for the One Hour Wargames OBs. 



Four guns and two units of Zouaves.


To start with I gave the Union one Napoleon, two Parrotts and one 3" rifle I'll do some more Napoleons at some point. I did the Napoleon with a brass barrel and all the other metalwork black. I used VJ Camo Green 894 for the carriages as it seemed a reasonable match for the various shades of Olive Green  used irl. The gunners just have the same uniform colours as the infantry.


Ah Zouaves, everyone likes those don't they. I suspect they are often a bit over represented. I did one unit in full gaudy uniforms (iirc based on the New York Regt) - red pants, white gaiters, blue jackets and red fez/caps. 


The other unit I did more subdued so they could pass for normal Union infantry at a glance, just dark blue jackets and pants with white gaiters. Not a million miles from some of the states militia uniforms. They got lighter blue fez/caps. 

Both these units were good fun to paint and they had a lot less equipment than their regular pals. They also had nice pointy bayonets moulded on. I like shiny bayonets on nineteenth century figures, brings them alive. 

That is it for the Union for now, next up, Confederate. 


8 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thanks. Hopefully coming to a remote game later this month, if I can only find a set of rules I'm happy with and which will work over Zoom.

      Delete
  2. The Zouaves are most eye-catching … and should be on the table whenever possible :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are very jazzy aren't they, and add a welcome spot of colour.

      Delete
  3. looking forward to seeing your Rebels, Martin! I am assuming you'll use OHW based on your post above.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Possibly. Tbh I just used the OHW list as a starting point to paint up a reasonable amount of 'stuff'. It is there as an option if I need it but I'd rather use something with a bit more period flavour.

      Delete
  4. Very nice Martin- the Zouaves are certainly colorful- I can see why everyone paints them.

    Cheers,

    Pete.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is also useful to have some units in different colours to easily differentiate troop quality.

      Delete