Wednesday 5 January 2022

6mm Union Infantry, Cavalry and Commanders

 Well I got there in the end with the Baccus ACW stuff. First up the Union.


Four infantry units of four bases, each with eight figures in two ranks. The Union uniforms were pretty easy in the end, I did the jackets GW Midnight Blue and the trousers VJ Sky Blue. The kepis I did black and then just painted to top sections GW Royal Blue, which is a bit lighter than the midnight blue. I didn't bother picking out the cartridge boxes after the first few as you cant see them, but I did do the canteen covers in light blue.


Two of the units have two ranks in close order, the other two have the front rank firing (using the skirmisher figures). I quite like look of the raggedy firing line, although it was much harder to paint the figures pre based in these poses.


One unit is in brimmed hats (Iron Brigade, Westerners or whatever) while the rest are in kepis. It wasn't too bad painting the second rank on the pre-based figures, but I had to be a bit impressionistic on the hands and trousers. Certainly a lot easier than prising hundreds of figures off temporary bases.

The flags are from Baccus, and at some point I'll tidy the edges up a bit. It seemed to be almost impossible to get them to line up with glue on them.


I just did half a dozen leaders from the huge bag of them, mainly single based but one pair. These can be brigade/divisional/corps commanders or whatever. I'll do some more at some point and make some proper Army HQ bases too.


The cavalry are quite dull. Twelve figures each, one in brimmed hats, one in kepis. It took me a while to figure out they had been cast with slung carbines and drawn swords, but after that it was easy to paint the various dangly bits which clearly weren't parts of human anatomy. I painted the flags. At some point I'll paint up some of the horseholder stands and dismounted cavalry, but for now I'll just substitute infantry if they get off their horses. I probably need one more of these so I can model Sheridans Cavalry Corps at one unit per division.

They were all just flocked with Woodlands Scenic Blended Turf, which is what I do with all my 6mm stuff. The cavalry bases are a bit thick so it looks like they are standing on little grass mounds but hey ho. Pleased with how that lot came out.


8 comments:

  1. Very nice Martin. You paint your 6mm better than I do my 20mm!!!

    Cheers

    Simon

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are very kind, the pictures a bit blurry so it hides some of the horror. Flocking the bases has made them look a lot better.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Well, I don't do these posts in real time....

      Delete
  3. Great work- those have turned out very handsomely.

    Cheers,

    Pete.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I was pleased with them in the end. Looking forward to doing some more now.

      Delete
  4. I admire your dedication to this project! I’ll stick with 54mm for my ACW toys…

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, 6mm is my preferred scale for more peripheral projects. It has only taken me 45 years to finally get my head around the ACW.

      Delete