Tuesday 15 June 2021

Zvezda BT-5

 I've got quite a few BTs in 6mm, but none in 15mm, and I thought it was time to boost my early war Soviet armour holdings as there were roughly equal numbers of T26 and BT available in 1941 (around 9000 of each) . Zvezda do some lovely cheap BT-5s, so I picked up a few of those.


Here they are roaring across the tabletop. Never mind the paper thin armour, what super little tanks, and with a very scary gun for 1937.


The front hull gives a real impression of speed. It was set up like that to allow for trackless, steering, but is has the dual benefit of being sensible from a ballistic point of view too.

These were very easy to put together with few parts, one piece track assemblies and almost no flash. The track plates even bear a resemblance to the real ones, which is unusual in Zvezda kits.


Lots of nice detail on the hull and engine. Quite finely moulded but easily sufficient to pick up a drybrush.


They look very racy from the side, but somehow seem to be lacking a wheel. I'm too used to T34s. You can see the good track detail including the widely spaced guide teeth. 


Here they all are from the front. I did them in a base of Vallejo Russian Green 894, then went over them with a heavy drybrush of VJ894 mixed with about a third of VJ Middlestone to produce that sort of horrible green colour that Soviet tanks fade to in the sun. As these were quite long in the tooth by 1941, I thought faded paint was more appropriate and they've ended up surprisingly close to the colour in Zalogas 'Eastern Front Armour and Camouflage'. 

Otherwise it was the usual mud and ink over the running gear, and a light tan drybrush overall to pick out the highlights.

Ive got a couple scenarios in mind which will feature these, so coming to a tabletop near you at some point in the future. 





10 comments:

  1. You have to love a BT - long one of my favourites. So only another 8,997 to go then - or does each of yours represent 3,000 tanks?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In the sorts of games we play, more like 1:30 (or maybe 1:150 for the more grandiose stuff).

      Delete
  2. The Zvezda BT-5 models are really nice, and very affordable. Like the look of yours. I'm way too heavy handed when I paint vehicles.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, lovely models and vastly cheaper than their metal pals. Your vehicles all look fine, but I'm a big fan of dry brushing ever since I came across it as a technique in the 1970s. It can end up looking a bit cartoony though.

      Delete
  3. You have to love the Zvezda stuff, excellent job on the ‘horrible green’ :-). I didn’t know that Zvezda did these. I built their SU 76 yesterday, which I thought (unusually for them) a bit faff.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some of their models are excessively complex due to their obsession with push fit. I've not tried the Zvezda SU76, but the PSC ones are nice models. I'd normally mix the VJ894 with GW Bubonic Brown (a yellow ochre) to make Russian Green, but I was pleasantly surprised with the Middlestone mix as it ended up more of a jewel green rather than the mushroom colour more modern Russian vehicles fade to.

      Delete
  4. These look excellent, Martin. I have a pair of the zvezda BTs for use in battlegroup barbarossa - we call them "clank tanks" because that sounds appropriately clumsy and early war.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL. For some reason I always imagine them hurtling across the battlefield at top speed, generally in mid air after hitting a log. I blame those Russian propaganda films. I always had a bad time with these in the old Panzer Commander PC game. Bullet proof armour isn't much good against Panzer IIIs.

      Delete
  5. Those are really nice Martin, it is quite a handsome tank all things considered- more dashing than the T26 for sure.

    Cheers,

    Pete.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, much sleeker than a T26. Not quite sure how I ended up with so many T26 in all scales!

      Delete