Monday 12 August 2024

Forged in Battle 105mm LeFH

 I thought the DAK deserved some dedicated artillery, and I wanted some sand coloured 105mm guns anyway. Sadly BPM don't do 105s, so metal it would have to be. I did vaguely think about getting some more QRF 105s, but in a moment of madness I passed the Forged in Battle stall at Partisan and saw they had packs of two 105mm LeFH, including crew.

What they didn't have on was a price, but I was in 'must have' mode, and had a horrible shock when I came to pay. Fifteen quid! Fifteen quid for two guns? I could buy an entire battery of QRF guns for that. To paraphrase Samuel L Jackson in Pulp Fiction, we'd better be talking some absolutely charming motherf***ing guns here.


Anyway, they are actually rather charming motherf***ing guns. Exquisitely detailed, and with lovely crew figures who aren't loaded down with gear and actually have bare arms. One guy is even in his shirt. Hooray! 


They are reasonably easy to assemble, the wheels and trails are a single piece casting thank goodness, the barrel sits on them fine, but sadly the shield is separate, so a degree of cursing was involved to get all the relevant bits to stick together at the correct angles. Compared to some guns I've built those, these were a walk in the park though.
 


The detail on the breech etc is great, as are the tyres on the wheels. There wasn't much flash on them, although one model did have a damaged tyre. I couldn't be bothered to repair it, put it down as battle damage.



The guns were just done in overall sand (VJ Dark Sand this time) over a grey undercoat. I did the crew in tropical uniforms, but went a bit heavier on the olive green so they are good for other warm weather campaigns in Russia and Europe.

I also only used a few of the supplied crew figures and fleshed them out with some Peter Pig DAK gunners. I have other uses in mind for them in the future.

So, despite my price shock (I've obviously lived too long in Yorkshire), these turned out very well in the end and I'm pleased with them.




2 comments:

  1. I must admit to waiting for their frequent sales to buy anything from them. Nice models.
    Neil

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, they are indeed things of beauty. I've got some older FiB stuff and I recall they were always on the pricier end of things, I was just taken aback at the time by these particular items. They are already getting a lot of use as 1943+ field artillery, so their cost per use is already much lower than some of my more esoteric stuff.

      Delete