Wednesday 7 August 2024

Zvezda Pz IVG

 With an eye towards North Africa games later on in 1942, I thought my DAK panzerwaffe deserved at least one Pz IV Special. Now, I could just have repainted some of my rather overlarge collection of existing Pz IVs, but there was a stand at Partisan last year selling Zvezda kits at the 'proper' price of £3.50, so I jus couldn't resist...


A Zvezda ' Pz IV G', although tbh with the globular muzzle brake, hull furniture and vision ports on the turret sides, it looks awfully like a Pz IV F2 although possibly an early production G. Either way, perfect for the Afrika Korps, rather than the beefier 75L48 armed tanks which were introduced in 1943.

Interestingly this model is fractionally shorter than my PSC Pz IV Gs, so maybe it is a good job I didn't re-paint a couple of those.


The model is very easy to assemble, with much the same construction as the Pz IV D kit. It does have a four part hull though, with separate track assemblies. The turret has the cupola and turret bin moulded as a single piece to stick the main turret, which has the gun moulded on rather than a separate piece.

You can see the characteristic Pz IV F hull furniture clearly here, which is why it isn't actually a G, despite the model title. There isn't even room for the balkan cross at the front end of the hull due to the box thing.

The spare track links on the hull front are moulded on.
 

The lines are reasonably sharp, but the moulding around the turret hatches and engine grille is a bit light so I added a pinwash to those to emphasise them. I also added a couple of PSC jerry cans to the hull rear.


This just got the usual plan sand over dark grey basecoat, in this case mjultiple layers of VJ Iraqi Sand with an inkwash in between and a final drybrush of VJ Pale Sand, going heavy on the upper surfaces. 

I thought it also warranted some of my diminishing stock of turret number, fortunately I had 44 in stock, as these usually comprised the fourth company of the Panzer Battalions. I'll get some more turret decals at the next Partisan. 

A very nice model, and example of Zvezda at its best.



2 comments:

  1. Very neat - I do like that mark of Pz4

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too, mainly because it reminds me of the Airfix one.

      Delete